Sunday, February 21, 2016

Twas the Night Before the Google Visit.....

'Twas the Night Before the Google Visit and all through my house.....I couldn't stop talking about everything I'd hope to see, explore, learn, discover, hear, touch, etc. The feeling I had was one similar to that of a child the night before Christmas - excitement abounding! It was surreal that this day had finally arrived, especially since I had only asked Rich Kiker "once or twice" if he could arrange a visit. (And of course he came through, after all - he IS Rich Kiker!)

I had the pleasure of experiencing this venture with my pal, Kristen Tsaoys who I believe was equally excited for our field trip. Both of us, all grown up and walking from Penn Station to the Google building, were so enthralled in our conversation, we actually walked past it...which answered our first question: there is no huge sign or billboard saying: THIS is the Google building!

Our time at Google NYC can be divided into three parts and described in three words. Awesome, Incredible, and Inspiring!

Part One: Awesome! For the first part of the day, Kristen and I had the privilege and honor of joining two other school districts who are not quite Google yet but looking to hop on the train. We were able to share our experiences in an effort to help guide both districts efforts to create their own plan. While the meeting was led by Rich Kiker and Alix Braverman (who works for Google), Kristen and I felt equally important to just talk the talk and surround ourselves with such greatness. Oh, and did I mentioned the huge wall-to-wall white board that surrounded us along with the enormous screen where Alix was able to show our new friends some recent Google highlights?!? The day could have ended after the meeting and I would have been content but lucky for me, there was SO much more to see and do!

Part Two: Incredible! We had worked up quite the appetite after such a fruitful discussion so after the meeting, Alix took us to where "Googlers" eat lunch. Wow! What an experience. With options galore and packs of people eating together, this part of the day provided a real sense of family and community. No Googler sat alone and who knows what Googlers talked about....maybe the latest episode of Billions or maybe the latest and greatest of everything Google. Regardless, the energy in the room is one I'd compare to Thanksgiving dinner - not the Thanksgiving dinner where there's a family blow-up....the other kind where there's no pressure of holiday gifts looming but just a real sense of peace and camaraderie.

Part Three: Inspiring! After lunch is when we finally got to tour Google NYC. I could probably write for days and wouldn't be able to convey every detail but I will give the highlights of our 4th floor tour. It was DEFINITELY everything for which I'd hoped and dreamed! Yes, people ride scoooters, play ping pong, and listen to music in relaxing pods. Yes, there is food everywhere (no one will ever go hungry)! Yes, the hallways are themed and named - the textured glass delivers curiosity to onlookers who cannot see through it. Yes, there are plant walls.... that thrive and add to the lively atmosphere! Yes, there is a nursing room. Yes, there are special rooms to make phone calls since most offices are not individualized but open-work stations. Yes, there is space both indoors and outdoors for anyone looking to get their "play on" but what was most inspiring was seeing most of these Googlers working in disguise. The collaboration and interaction between co-workers was evident but the culture of creativity, design, exploration, and discovery was everywhere! It is the type of environment that makes one want to be the best version of him/herself!

Over lunch, I asked Alix the best and worst part about working for Google and her answer was not surprising. She said the best part are the people! Who wouldn't want to be around such creative, playful, genius minds day in and day out? And the worst part of working for Google??? Could there be such a thing?? Alix described her love for Google and the people with such passion, I couldn't imagine what the worst part would be until she disclosed the answer and then it made total sense. The worst part of working for Google is you never want to leave! That line resonates with me because I remember saying it at my opening day faculty meeting this year in reference to creating this same type of environment for kids. Imagine having a school filled with students and sharing that same experience and sentiment so they never want to leave.,. providing a culture where creativity, design, and play are part of the day to day experience?!!? It doesn't get much better than that!

I learned so much from my field trip and am so inspired! Thank you, Rich, for putting up with my repeated "requests" for a visit which in turn provided this invaluable opportunity! I am forever grateful and promise to use my Google inspiration immediately!



No comments:

Post a Comment